This chimichurri recipe is excellent as a topping for Grilled Steak, chicken, vegetables, and just about anything.
It requires just a few simple ingredients to make Chimichurri, but the way you prepare the ingredients is key. We’re sharing all of our secrets to make the best, authentic chimichurri sauce.
This post may contain affiliate links. Read my disclosure policy.
What is Chimichurri Sauce?
Chimichurri is a sauce made with fresh parsley, garlic, some acidity (usually lemon juice or red wine vinegar), and oil. It originates from Argentina and there are endless variations for chimichurri. Chimichurri is essentially the Argentinian version of a pesto sauce.
My sister Svetlana taught me how to make this one and I love that she adds a little soy sauce which adds an extra layer of flavor.
How to Make Chimichurri Sauce:
- Finely chop parsley leaves, and mince fresh garlic clove. Add both to a small bowl.
- Add freshly squeezed lemon juice, olive oil, and soy sauce. Stir to combine.
- Cover and marinate at least 2 hours or overnight.
Tips for Making the Best Chimichurri:
- Chop by Hand – For the best flavor and texture in chimichurri, you’ll want to chop through the leaves without crushing them in a food processor.
- Use Fresh Garlic – fresh cloves of garlic will give the chimichurri sauce the spicy kick that you expect in chimichurri. The garlic will really shine after resting at least 2 hours. Mince freshly peeled garlic cloves for the best flavor.
- Let it Marinate – the sauce will taste best if you let it rest for at least 2 hours or even overnight. The flavors will meld and the garlic will infuse the oil.
How much parsley is in 1 cup parsley? You will need 1 bunch of fresh parsley, large stems removed and finely chopped. Make sure to finely chop the parsley and not use the food processor.
Can I substitute the soy sauce? The soy sauce adds great flavor and a little goes a long way, but if you prefer to keep it soy-free, you can add a little salt to taste instead of soy sauce.
Can I use cilantro? If you want to use cilantro, try using equal amounts (1/2 cup each) of cilantro and parsley.
Is this a spicy Chimichurri? The fresh garlic in this recipe is what makes chimichurri seem spicy. If you prefer a spicier chimichurri, add 1/4 tsp red pepper flakes.
How to Serve Homemade Chimichurri:
Easy Chimichurri Sauce Recipe
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Resting Time: 2 hours
Total Time: 2 hours 10 minutes
This chimichurri recipe is so fresh and vibrant. It is excellent as a topping for Grilled Steak, chicken, vegetables, and just about anything.
Cost to Make:
Calories: 69 kcal
Servings: 8 people as a condiment
Chop parsley and garlic cloves with a knife (do not use a food processor) and transfer to a bowl.
Add remaining chimichurri ingredients and stir to combine.
Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate at least 2 hours or overnight before serving.
Easy Chimichurri Sauce Recipe
Amount Per Serving
Calories from Fat 63
% Daily Value*
Saturated Fat 1g6%
Vitamin A 632IU13%
Vitamin C 12mg15%
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2000 calorie diet.
If you make this recipe, I’d love to see pics of your creations on Instagram, Facebook and Twitter! Hashtag them #natashaskitchen